SUMMARY OF MEDIATION EXPERIENCE
Mr. Rains is also a certified mediator focusing on efficient dispute resolution efforts prior to the litigation of such disputes.
Some examples include:
- Represented one of Texas’ major utilities before the Public Utilities Commission and in subsequent court actions, concluding in a successful appeal to the Supreme Court of Texas, in a dispute that involved amounts in controversy greater than $250 Million.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest alcoholic beverage distributors before the Texas regulatory agency which had suspended its license to operate, successfully restoring the licenses after completion of a complex reorganization and restructuring of debt involving a leveraged buyout of major shareholders, as well as a successful challenge to the Comptroller of Texas sales tax applicability.
- Successfully represented a major health care provider, in a dispute with a State chartered medical school and hospital for the right to operate a county hospital. Continued representation of that client and others opposing taxpayer supported institutions competing with the private sector.
- Developed and implemented a strategy for a major communication company that lead to their dominance of a government communication system in the Houston region.
- Acted as a trial consultant to a Fortune 500 company facing class action suits in Texas and Louisiana.